Tuesday 31 July 2012

An editor is never really on holiday...

We were away on holiday last week, in Scarborough. We had a great time, and great weather - and the kids loved the beach, the pool and the change of scene. I took some proofreading work with me in hopeful expectation, and didn't do it, which is perhaps a good thing - it is important to have proper time off, even when you love your job and are self-employed. But I realised that I am never really off-duty. This was the most amusing typo of the holiday by far, and I couldn't resist photographing it:


In second place came a label on a Model-T Ford at the wonderful Scarborough Fair Collection, which declared that the model was in production from 1098-1927. That's a long time!

And I was disheartened to see, on a cafe menu, "specialtity tea's" - I could forgive them the spelling, perhaps, but not the apostrophe as well.

Regrettably, I've forgotten the name of the pub I saw which was festooned with an advertising banner displaying the pub's name and details of forthcoming events. Sadly, the pub's name was spelled wrong on the banner, which was hung right next to the foot-high letters on the pub wall showing the correct spelling. Whoops.

This week I'm back at my desk and finally tackling my pile of proofreading - hoping to avoid blunders of my own!


No comments:

Post a Comment